Strawberries are everywhere now and when I saw this yummy looking cake on Martha’s newsletter I could not resist it. Who doesn’t love strawberries and whipped cream. That is what I call a match made in heaven and then add a nice layer of yellow cake to soak up all that good strawberry juice. I’m telling you that it is perfect!
I made three of these in one week that’s just how good they are. Make a one layer cake and then split it, cut up strawberries, whip up some cream and you have yourself a fancy dessert that is a show stopper.
This cake is not what I expected. Not to say that is it not delicious because it is. I was just expecting a much different texture. The texture is more coarse which really works well holding up to the strawberries and soaking up all that goodness.
Here are some tips that you might find helpful in making this beautiful dessert:
- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature.
- For a taller cake use an 8 inch pan. I tried both an 8 inch and a 9 inch pan. The 9 inch layer I found to be easier to serve.
- Line the pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Butter and flour the paper and the side of the pan. You will want the sides of your cake to look beautiful . This way none will stick to the side of the lpan...........read more
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder.........read more