This recipe hails from Grenada-and would be a grand finishing touch to your favorite Caribbean or spicy meal. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with fresh fruits of the season.
Grenadian Spice Cake
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter – chilled, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
2 In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the lime zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, stirring after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3 Bake for 75 to 90 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.