This is best carrot cake i’ve ever had. It’s moist, sweet and has just the right amount of carrots. I’m not a big fan of cream cheese frosting, but this frosting works just as well.
The Best Scratch Carrot Cake Ever
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light muscovado/light brown soft sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3-4 cups grated carrots (grated on the
- thick side of the grater 12-14 carrots)
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar – add more if necessary
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp double/heavy cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup – optional
- 1/2 cup orange sugarpaste
- 1/8 cup green sugarpaste
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4 (175 degrees C). Grease, flour and line a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Stir in carrots. Fold in sultanas and walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make Frosting:
- Cream shortening and butter until fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and continue creaming until well blended. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy. Spread onto the cake smoothing with a palate knife
- To make the decorations:
- Mould orange sugarpaste into carrots and the green into leaves and arrange on the cake.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment