If you carve a lot of cakes like I do you will also be faced with the question of what to do with all the scraps. Here is a way you can ‘recycle’ them! It is a soft textured cake with a meringue topping, serve it warm, hot or cold. This is a recipe you can adapt easily to suit the flavour cake scraps you are using. Its really nice with custard, fruit or chocolate sauce, whipped cream, ice cream, or all of the above!
- 4 cups cake scraps – cubed roughly
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
Meringue – 2 cups sugar (white or brown) and 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9×12 inch baking dish.
- Place cake scraps in the dish.
- Combine egg yolks and sugar. Beat 3 minutes. Add flour and baking powder, then milk and butter. Mix well and add vanilla.
- Pour batter over cake scraps. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While baking, beat egg whites and sugar for meringue, until stiff. When ‘cake’ is cooked, pipe over the top in a nice pattern. Place under broiler until golden.