This is a very easy cake to make. No creaming of shortening or butter, and no sifting. It is called sleepy cake because you could do it in your sleep, and because you pour coffee over the batter–a mistake anyone could make on a sleepy morning!
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup cold, strong, brewed coffee
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
2 Whisk together 3/4 cup white sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in melted chocolate, butter or margarine, vanilla, and milk; mix to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the two sugars, 1/2 cup brown and 1/2 cup white, and the cocoa. Pour cold coffee over the top, but do not stir in.
3 Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.