I found three different recipes and combined them and these are the best chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever had! Make sure you double the amount of frosting if you’re making 24 cupcakes (frosting only makes enough for 12)
Cream filled chocolate cupcakes
1 box pillsbury devil’s food cake mix (or another mix w/pudding in it)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 c cold coffee (water may be substituted)
- 1/2 c oil
- 4 eggs
- 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 heaping tsp salt
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 5 1/3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Make cake as you normally would (combine all cake ingredients and mix for 2.5 mins).
TO MAKE FILLING
- Dissolve 1/4 tsp salt into 2 tsp BOILING or REALLY HOT water. Set aside to cool. Beat remaining filling ingredients until light and fluffy. Stir in salt water mixture.
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING
- In a large bowl, cream the butter. Add in cocoa, salt and boiling water, stirring until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. If frosting seems too thick, add water. If it seems too thin, add powdered sugar.