This is my basic yellow cake recipe. I use it for different types of cake as well, including strawberry, lemon, spice, tres leches, etc. I’ll include those variations below.
Buttermilk yellow cake
- Buttermilk yellow cake
1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
3 cups flour (AP flour but can substitute equal weight of pastry flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup buttermilk
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg yolks, one at a time until well incorporated. Sift dry ingredients. Add alternately with buttermilk/vanilla, starting and ending with dry. Mix only until smooth. Don’t over mix. Whip up the whites separately to firm peaks and fold into the batter. Bake in a 9×13 pan at 350′ for approximately 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- I like to add buttermilk powder to the dry ingredients when substituting other liquids so I don’t lose the benefits of the buttermilk.
- For tres leches cake:
- Make cake as above. mix together one can evaporated milk, one can sweetened-condensed milk and 1 cup whole milk or goat milk and pour slowly over cake to soak in. *This recipe will only take 1/2 the milk. Either reserve the other half of the milk or make a double recipe
- Strawberry cake:
- In place of the buttermilk (1 cup), use 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) blended strawberries.
- banana cake:
- In place of the buttermilk (1 cup), use 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) blended bananas.
- Lemon cake:
- In place of the vanilla (1.5 tsp), use 2 tsp lemon extract.
- Spice cake:
- In place of buttermilk, use 1 1/2 cups apple sauce. In place of half the sugar, use 1/2 brown sugar. To dry ingredients, add 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1/4 tsp ginger.