7 oz dark chocolate, for coating truffles and shavings
1. Make the filling a day in advance. Bring the cream to a boil and add to a chopped chocolate. Stir gently until chocolate melted and allow to cool. Keep refridgerated until next day.
2. Preheat oven at 375F. Draw eight 8″ circles on a parchment paper.
3. Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks adding gradually 1/3 cup of sugar. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Stir sifted cocoa powder into boiling water. Add slowly to the yolks.
5. Sift flour and cornstarch over yolk mixture, add 1/3 of the whipped whites and fold in gently. Repeat with remaining whites.
6. Spoon 1/2 cup of the batter into drown circles and bake for 5-8 min until springs back, when touched. Allow to cool.
7. For the syrup, bring water and sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in liqueur.
8. Whip cooled filling. Moisten prepared cake circles with syrup and spread with chocolate filling. Also cover sides and top of the cake with the filling and sprinkle with chocolate curls and shavings.
9. To make a truffles, heat the cream to just below a simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Stir gently to blend, stir in liqueur of your choice and let cool in the fridge for about 1 hour before making truffles. Spoon small teaspoonfuls of chocolate filling and roll into balls. Place on a baking tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Dip truffles in melted chocolate (using a toothpick) and place on a clean tray. Once the coating is set, dust with cocoa powder.