These are candies that look like the buckeye nut. They are very popular in Ohio, a.k.a. the Buckeye State!
- 18 oz. creamy peanut butter
- 1 pound (3 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cube (1″ x 1″) paraffin (optional – may substitute 1 tbsp. shortening)
- Blend together the first three ingredients. Roll into chestnut-sized balls. Insert toothpick in center of each ball. Freeze for at least one hour.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and paraffin (or shortening). Dip each peanut butter ball quickly into the chocolate mixture, coating about 3/4 of the ball with chocolate. Let the balls set up on wax paper. Remove toothpicks and smooth out the hole (left by the toothpick) with finger.