These are candies that look like the buckeye nut. They are very popular in Ohio, a.k.a. the Buckeye State! The buckeye tree is the state tree of Ohio. They are very yummy and easy to make!
- 18 oz. creamy peanut butter
- 1 pound (3 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 cube (1″ x 1″) paraffin (optional – may substitute 1 tbsp. shortening)
- Blend together the first three ingredients. Roll into chestnut-sized balls. Insert toothpick in center of each ball. Freeze for at least one hour.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and paraffin (or shortening). Dip each peanut butter ball quickly into the chocolate mixture, coating about 3/4 of the ball with chocolate. Let the balls set up on wax paper. Remove toothpicks and smooth out the hole (left by the toothpick) with finger.