I got this recipe from the cookbook “desserts in croatia” it is translated to English, but VERY poorly and LOTS of things are left unsaid, so for every recipe in this book it takes me two tries to figure out what they expect, but… all of them are so good, it’s worth it.
Please note, this MUST be refrigerated, it will melt and lose shape if left out for too long. To pipe, I refrigerate it to get it firm and have to change bags every couple minutes as it melts REALLY fast in your hands. This recipe is modified, so I consider it “my” recipe.
Plus, PLEASE use quality ingredients – it does make a difference.
Croatian chocolate icing frosting
- 8 whole large organic/free range eggs
- 18 ounces granulated sugar
- 18 ounces unsalted butter (room temperature and cut into small pieces)
- 6 ounces high quality semi sweet chocolate (Belgium is great!)
- 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice
- First, mix the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Cook the eggs and the sugar over a double boiler (pan over boiling water), adding the chocolate broken into small pieces, stir until all chocolate has melted. Stay with the double boiler and stir almost constantly. Cook until it thickens some. Hard to determine (and since it doesn’t say, this is what I’ve discovered works well), but when it starts to not drip off the spoon, but slowly slides off the spoon. it will never be THICK when hot, but it shouldn’t be runny. Temperature on a candy thermometer will read between 170 and 180 degrees fahrenheit. Remove from double boiler and leave to cool.
- When it is completely cool, add the 1 to 2 tbsp. lemon juice and the room temperature, cut up butter, Whip it with the mixer until all the butter is incorporated well.
- The consistency now is between a mousse and pudding. You can use it as your filling and your icing now. It will smooth VERY easily, but get it perfect now, as you cannot touch it up later – not forgiving. Refrigerate the cake with icing.
- When the icing is completely chilled the icing is very stiff, so put it in your piping bag and work it a bit with your hands, but realize it melts FAST and you will need to get a fresh bag or fresh icing very quickly (like after 4-5 minutes). it will hold the shape, but can only be piped when chilled.
- When you are done, put it back in the refrigerator. take it out 30 minutes before serving and enjoy!
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment