This gooey dessert consists of a chocolate layer, topped by a creamy marshmallow-coconut layer, topped by chocolate frosting.
Creamy Coconut-Topped Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (pudding in the mix)
- cooking spray
- Coconut topping:
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 9 large marshmallows
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 To prepare cake, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat at low speed of a mixer until moist. Beat mixture at medium speed 2 minutes; pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan on a wire rack.
3 To prepare topping, combine 1/2 cup milk, granulated sugar, and marshmallows in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until marshmallows are melted. Stir in coconut and cornstarch; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spread topping evenly over cake; cool.
4 To prepare frosting, combine powdered sugar, cocoa, 2 tablespoons milk, and margarine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove mixture from heat; add chocolate chips and corn syrup, stirring until chips melt. Spread frosting gently over coconut layer. Cool until set.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment