Note: This is my personal recipe that I developed. Please credit me if sharing with others. Thanks! Promise Whitley
I usually fill will Dickinson’s seedless raspberry jam and Dickinson’s lemon curd and ice with lemon buttercream. I make my icing dam and then spread a thin layer of the raspberry jam on the cake inside the dam using a small off-set spatula. Then I put a layer of about 1/3 of an inch of curd ontop of the jam. Then top with the next layer of cake. I do three layers of cake and 2 of the filling. This always gets rave reviews
Promise’s Better-Than-Scratch Lemon Cake
- 1 Box Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 box (4 serving size) regular (not sugar free) instant lemon pudding mix
- Number of eggs called for on cake box + 1
- Double the amount of oil called for on cake box
- 1 cup Lemonade instead of the water
- Beat the eggs to mix together the whites and yolks
- Slowly beat in the oil
- Mix in the pudding mix
- Add 1/2 of the cake mix and 1/2 of the lemonade, mix until combined
- Add rest of cake mix and rest of lemonade, mix until combined
- Beat on high for 3 minutes
- Bake at 350 degrees, may take 45 to 50 minutes to bake, depending on size of pan, start checking for doneness at 30 minutes.
- The above amounts will make 1 quarter sheet or 1 two or three layer 8″ or 9″ round cake.