I was asked to make a baby shower cake and use strawberries. My husband tried this and loved it.
Strawberry Creamcheese Frosting/filling
- 1 package Frozed Whole/cut strawberries
- 1/2 c. light corn syrup
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 16 oz of cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- Place frozen strawberries in a pot, add corn syrup and granulated sugar, boil until soft (10 min). Use a collander to strain the syrup from the strawberries. Place syrup in a seperate bowl. Use a blender of food processor to puree the cooked strawberries (set aside in a seperate large bowl). In a medium bowl whisk heavy cream to stiff peaks (you can use 1 tsp of cream of tartar to stabilize the whipped cream)(recommended). In the same bowl as the strawberry puree add cream cheese and blend until creamy, add whipped cream and mix untill well blended.
- I use the use the syrup as the sweet glaze before putting the filling on the cake, Poke holes in cake with fork or other, drizzle syrup on torted cake layer. It usually takes a second or two to seep in. Spread the frosting on the layer and repeat as many layers as you have. I also put the syrup on the top, then use the remaining to cover the cake. I have used this for fondant cakes, but if you do make sure you put it in the freezer before you attempt to cover it. The great thing about this cake is it is not overly sweet, but if you like strawberry ice cream and strawberry syrup you will love this filling/frosting. Recommended use on pound cake or dense cakes.