This was the cake for 1st year Baking members of Home Ec. clubs. It is a very simple cake and inexpensive to make. The texture is rather coarse but it is very durable and easily handled; also it is flavorful- particularly, if you use your very best vanilla in it. It is would be good for a Boston Cream Pie, short cake, frosted or just sliced thin and spread with peanut butter.
Busy Day Cake
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/3 c. shortening/oil (I used oil.)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I used my best vanilla paste.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Grease and lightly flour (and parchment paper) an 8x8x2 or 9Ã2 baking pan. In a medium bowl add all ingredients. Beat with electric mixer until well combined. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool ten minutes in pan then turn out to finish cooling on wire rack. Serves 9. (I have baked this at 350 degrees and it turns out fine.)
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment