HI, I’m Tamatha (SophieBelle). I hope you enjoy this twist on fondant.
SophieBelle’s Jello Fondant
- 1 small package of Jello Gelatin (you choose the flavor/color)
- Boiling water
- 1/4 cup glucose
- 1 Tablespoon glycerin (optional, see below)
- 4 pounds confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Place the contents of the Jello packet into a glass one-cup measure. Add boiling water to the 3/4 cup line. Stir to completely dissolve. Add the glucose to make one cup of liquid and stir to dissolve. At this point, you may add the glycerin if you plan to use the fondant to cover cakes. However, if you plan to use it for embellishments or cookies, you may leave the glycerin out since you won’t need as much ‘stretch’ in your fondant. If glycerin is added, stir until it also completely dissolves in the Jello/boiling water solution.
- Let the solution cool for about 5 minutes while sifting the confectioner’s sugar into a large glass bowl. Remove about 1 cup of the sugar and reserve for kneading later on.
- Test the side of the glass measuring cup to make sure the Jello solution has cooled enough to handle. Make a well in the sifted sugar (in the bowl) and pour in the Jello solution. Using a large spoon, stir in a little of the sugar from the sides of the bowl, pulling in more sugar until it is completely incorporated and forms a rough ball.
- Sprinkle some reserved confectioner’s sugar on your clean work surface and turn the fondant out onto it. Knead in the final amount of sugar this way. The fondant will feel a little rough at this point, but it’s ok. Knead just until the sugar is all incorporated, then form the fondant into a ball. Use your fingers to grease the bowl, then rub the shortening from your hands onto the fondant before placing it in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the fondant rest for about an hour.
- Grease your clean work surface and turn out the fondant. Knead in shortening until the fondant feels right. You will see how the shortening transforms the texture of the fondant from kind of rough to satiny.
- For storage, wrap ithe fondant in plastic wrap and keep it in an airtight containter.