You asked me “Pretty Please with a cherry on it” so here you go!!
Lisa’s Best MMF Ever!
1/4 cup shortening
- 2 1//2 tablespoons water
- 1 bag(large one) mini marshmellows
- Powdered Sugar
- Put these all in a big glass bowl. Stir together. Place in microwave for 40 sec intervals, stirring between each one, until mixture is smooth and all marshmellows have melted completely.
- Remove from microwave and add 1 pound powdered sugar. Mix like bread dough until all marshmellow mixture has been incorperated. Cover your handed with shortening as you go. Add another tablespoon if it is too dry as you knead it. Keep greasing your hand as you knead. The key is to not let it be “sticky”. Once you have smooth satiny texture, you can begin to use it.
- Tip: My secret to perfectly tender and easy to work with fondant is to keep it moist. Not too moist, but just right. As I work with it, it will begin to dry out, with rolling and dusting for cutting and such. I skim it with a light touch of shortening when it begins to dry. Also, keep the used portion in a plastic bag or wrap, or in a bowl with a lid. This also helps hold the moister in. Another tip is to keep working it, each time you get done with one part, be sure to knead to warm it up with your hands and get it pliable again, and keep it soft.
- Having it soft and pliable makes it easier to roll out into bigger sections. I usually dust it with cornstarch and then lightly fold it like pie crust before putting in on the cake, this makes it easier to manuver and you get less or no tearing that way. I’ve learned a new technic of placing a large cake round under it too so you can just roll it and then slidee the round under and move it directly to the cake and slide it out from under. I just saw this yesterday, and haven’t tried it yet. I will be testing this very soon on my next project. I’ll let you know how I like it. Sounds very good to me……..
- Good luck, and if you have any more questions, let me know.
- OH ONE MORE THING!! If you want to make your fondant extra tasty, add a half a teaspoon of almond extract to your water before you melt the marshmellows. Let me know how you like it!