I came up with this frosting after not being satisfied with the flavor of the other crusting buttercreams Iâve tried. The resulting frosting is creamy and as light as whipped icing. Great for frosting and piping.
Reenieâs Crusting Buttercream
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 stick (1 cup) Crisco, NOT the butter flavored
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. butter flavor
- 2 lb. bag powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp. milk
- 1. In a stand mixer bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, Crisco, vanilla and butter flavor on medium speed until smooth and uniform in color.
- 2. Turn off mixer and add the powdered sugar. Turn mixer on the lowest setting and begin to add the milk one tablespoon at a time.
- 3. Once the sugar is just mixed into the butter mixture turn the mixer on high and whip for 5 minutes until frosting is light and semi-airy.
gonna try this today for cupcakes!
whats the difference in this and the Wilton recipe?
Can this be frozen on a cake?
I've used this recipe MANY times...it's my "tried & true" go-to recipe for frostings!
When this crusts, does it crusts like Wilton recipe?? Why I ask is because, I'm not happy about the Wilton lately since it's been crusting wayyyyyy too much and my free hand drawing on is so crusty looking and hate it. I am trying to find a good crusting buttercream that looks nice without it cracking on my decorating. Please reply on this b/c I'm going nuts!!
Login To Leave A Comment