I came up with this frosting after not being satisfied with the flavor of the other crusting buttercreams I’ve tried. The resulting frosting is creamy and as light as whipped icing. Great for frosting and piping.
Reenie’s Crusting Buttercream
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 stick (1 cup) Crisco, NOT the butter flavored
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. butter flavor
- 2 lb. bag powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp. milk
- 1. In a stand mixer bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, Crisco, vanilla and butter flavor on medium speed until smooth and uniform in color.
- 2. Turn off mixer and add the powdered sugar. Turn mixer on the lowest setting and begin to add the milk one tablespoon at a time.
- 3. Once the sugar is just mixed into the butter mixture turn the mixer on high and whip for 5 minutes until frosting is light and semi-airy.