Searching for your new favorite crusting buttercream recipe? Well, look no further! This delightfully simple buttercream recipe is a breeze to mix up, so bake yourself a cake, and give this frosting a try.
- 1 cup high-ratio shortening
- 1 tablespoon of meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (or extract
- of choice)
- 4 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
In large bowl, cream shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla and water.
Combine sugar and meringue powder. Gradually add sugar mixture, 1 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
Beat on low until incorporated scraping sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- For a thinner consistency, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk. If you are using a trans-fat free shortening instead of high-ratio shortening, the consistency of the icing might change. Use whole milk instead of water to bring some fat to the mix. For best results, use high-ratio shortening.