This recipe comes from the Buttercup Bakeshop Cookbook.
Buttercup Golden Layer Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter â softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs â room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and lightly flour three 9Ã2 inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl, using medium speed of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix the milk and vanilla together -do not add just yet. Combine both of the flours and add in two parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla mixture, beating well after each addition. *Do not overbeat, if you do, the cake will not be light and fluffy.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- If youâre making cupcakes, line 2 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers. Spoon the batter into the cups about 3/4 full. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20-22 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- When cake has cooled, ice between layers, then ice top and sides of cake.
This cake turned out wonderfully as cupcakes. Very nice taste and texture, but not too delicate. I had been using the Whimsical Bakehouse vanilla cupcake recipe, but I think this one has it beat. True, the tops didn't dome much, but I prefer that in my cupcakes. It's now my go-to vanilla cake!! Thank you for posting.
Login To Leave A Comment