This is such an easy filling and can be flavored with any extract you like, lemon, rum, coconut etc. But my best seller is to flavor it with Kahlua. Wonderful in a chocolate or white cake. If making the Kahlua filling I also brush my cake layers with a simple syrup made of equal amounts of granulated sugar and water. One cup each, 2 Teaspoons instant coffee granules, boil till sugar dissolves, remove from heat and add 1 Tablespoon Kahlua. Let cool and brush on leveled cake layers just to moisten, not soaking.
Bavarian Cream Filling
- One cup thawed Pastry Pride topping
- one 3 oz. package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Hot water
- Empty pudding mix into a small mixing bowl. Add enough very hot water to make a thick paste, about the consistency of hobby paste. It generally takes about 3 Tablespoons of water, but start with 1 and add more as needed. Stir till lumps are out and then stir in flavorings. For the Kahlua I use 1 Tablespoon, if using extracts start with just a drop or two, you can always add more after the filling is completed.
- Set this mixture aside and beat the thawed Pastry Pride in mixer with whisk attachment to stiff peaks. Add flavoring to Pastry Pride, if Kahlua add 1 Tablespoon, if extracts just a few drops.
- Spoon a small amount, about 1/4 cup, of the whipped Pastry Pride into the bowl of pudding mixture, stir to lighten and then scrape the mixture back into the bowl of beaten Pastry pride, beat till combined. Taste and adjust flavorings. This filling will keep sealed in the refrigerator for about 1 week, it does not contain dairy products. Makes enough to fill a 10″ cake generously.