Adapted by Karen Phillips from the Chatelaine Golden anniversary recipe collection.
- 2/3 cup soft margarine or butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk (substitute 1 Tbsp. vinegar and plain
- milk to fill 1/2 cup)
3 mashed very ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of two round layer cake pans, one large bundt pan, or two-dozen large muffin cups.
- Beat together: margarine/butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until very light and fluffy.
- Sift together separately: four, baking powder, baking soad and salt. Add alternately to the egg mixture with buttermilk/sour milk and bananas.
- Pour and spread in the prepared pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes (layer cake pans), 35 to 40 minutes (bundt pan) or 15 to 20 minutes (muffins), or until centres are set. Cool five minutes then run a knife around the edges and invert. Optionally, when cold, frost or glaze with a topping of your choice.
Love this recipe!!!!!
Login To Leave A Comment