This is my Grandmother’s Italian Creme Cake. Luckily she left me all of her wonderful cake recipes!! I get many compliments on this one!
Estelle’s Italian Creme Cake
- 1 stick butter 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Crisco shortening 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sugar 1 cup coconut
- 5 egg yolks 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups plain flour 5 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ stick butter
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Cream butter, Crisco, and sugar. Add egg yolks. Sift flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Stir in vanilla, coconut, and pecans. Fold in egg whites. Pour into 3 greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done.
- For Icing:
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add vanilla. Stir in pecans, if desired. Spread between layers and on top.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment