This is my favorite gumpaste recipe. It dries light and strong and is easy to make. The recipe is taken from the ebook “Icing Only” by Kim Knott. It is ready to use immediately if you use shortening on your hands but will be even easier to work with if you let it sit overnight in an airtight plastic container or plastic bag. The recipe makes 2.5 cups of gumpaste and works beautifully in silicon molds. The roses in the picture were shaped by hand, then when dry, dusted with Wilton pearl dust. The leaves were colored by mixing leaf green paste color into the gumpaste.
Amount Ingredient 2 large egg whites 8 cups powdered sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons karaya gum (gum tex) 1/4 cup warm water
1. In a medium bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy (about 30-40 seconds).
2. Add 2 1/2 cups icing sugar and beat until well combined.
3. Sprinkle the karaya gum on top of the mixture and then beat again for about 15 seconds. Beat in another 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar. The mixture will be dry and crumbly.
4. Add 1/4 cup warm water and mix until smooth.
5. Put the final 3 cups of icing sugar in the bowl and knead in by hand. You may have to take the gum paste out of the bowl and continue kneading.