This is one of the fillings I used to fill the mini-tarts for the petit fours in the photo. It is very simple and different. For those of you who are not familiar with the taste of passionfruit, the flavor is similar to a cross between a sweet peach and a lemon. It is a good tropical flavor. I will post the tart dough soon.
- 3 oz. sugar, granulated
- 5 oz. passionfruit puree
- 7 oz. eggs, whole
- 4 oz. sugar, granulated
- 1/2 oz. lemon juice
- 7 oz. butter, cubed and room temperature
- 1. In a non-corrosive saucepan (preferably stainless steel), bring the first sugar and passionfruit puree to a boil.
- 2. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, second sugar and lemon juice until well combined. Do not whip to a froth.
- 3. Pour 1/3 of the boiling mixture into the egg mixture to temper it. Whisk vigorously to prevent the hot mixture from curdling the eggs. Pour the remaining hot liquid into the egg mixture while whisking. Return the mixture back to the saucepan.
- 4. Bring the mixture to a boil while constantly whisking. Let the mixture boil for one minute. Remove from heat.
- 5. Let the mixture cool to 122F (50C) in an ice bath or simply by constantly stirring it to decrease cooling time.
- 6. Add the cubed butter little by little until totally incorporated. Stir in the butter until the mixture is totally smooth and glossy.
- 7. Use immediately into pre-baked tart shells. Store any leftover curd in a tightly wrapped container.