Cake Central user frecklepuss altered the basic WASC recipe with a few added touches to make these red velvet cupcakes. They still have everything you love about red velvet, with the convenience of a mix.
Needed to make Red Velvet Cupcakes for a benefit on a budget as I was donating 200 cupcakes. After doing a little bit of research on line I figured I would try it with ingredients I had on hand. Basic WASC recipe with a few added touches. Not only are they red.. they were moist and delicious!
1 (18.25 ounces) White or vanilla Betty Crocker Cake mix
*if your cake mix is only 15.25 ounces either add an additional 3 ounces of cake mix from a second box, or add 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water or milk (non dairy or dairy)
1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
2 tblsp vegetable oil
1oz bottle Wilton No taste red food colouring paste
1 tblsp vanilla
3 tblsp cocoa powder
1. Put all ingredients EXCEPT cocoa powder into the bowl of your electric mixer.
2. Mix on low for 30 seconds then switch to medium high for approximately 1 minute until ingredients are incorporated. Scrape bowl with rubber spatula
3. Add 1 tblsp cocoa at a time.
4. Mix on medium-high speed for another minute
5. Fill cupcake liners approx. 3/4 full. I had large liners and used 1 large ice cream scoop per cupcake so when baked they reached the top of the liner. Made 34 cupcakes
6. Top with cream cheese frosting as follows:
2 packages cream cheese, at room temperature
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter (salted or unsalted.. whatever you have on hand), at room temperature
1 pound (4 cups) icing sugar
2-3 tblsp heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp pure almond extract
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Switch to the whisk attachment, and mix until smooth and slightly fluffy.
Voila.. easy Red Velvet Cupcakes