This is the recipe given to me by my aunt who had a catering/cake decorating business for about 30 years. She used it for all her wedding cakes. I use it for ALL my cakes. The icing crusts well so VIVA works on this one (but not necessarily as a ‘faux fondant’). Milk makes this better (use within a week or so)..but you can use water for longer use.
- The following is considered a ‘double’ recipe.
1 cup whole or 2% milk (or water)
- 2 cups Crisco
- 2 tsp Clear Butter Flavoring
- 2 tsp Clear Vanilla Flavoring (can use lemon also)
- 64 oz Powdered Sugar (2 bags or 4 boxes)
- pinch of salt
- Combine milk (or water), Crisco, Flavorings, salt and 1/2 of the sugar and mix well. Gradually add the remaining sugar and mix well. You can thin this with water or milk.
- NOTE: I add a tiny bit of meringue powder for roses. I also use Lorann Oils (caramel, etc) in this.
c’mom, it’s going on a cake…….