For a dairy dessert, try Saffron Ice Cream, also from Batmanglij “New Food of Life.”
2 tsp powdered
3 table spoons
2 table spoons
1. In large saucepan, stir together milk and sugar and bring to boil over
2. put sahlab in bowl, add 1 cup warm milk mixture. Mix well until
3. Add this mixture to warm milk in saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stir
constantly, until it thickens. It should be slightly elastic at this
point. Remove pan from heat.
4. Add saffron-rose water. Mix well. Cool 2 hours. Pour into ice-cream
5. Follow ice cream machine’s directions for making ice cream.
6. Pour thin layer of half-and-half onto a flat plate, place in freezer
until a frozen creamy crust forms. Remove crust from freezer, break off
1/2 inch pieces of the crust and mix with finished ice cream.
7. Serve saffron ice cream in small bowls (or in one large bowl),
sprinkle with ground pistachios.
For those who want it fast: use 1 pint vanilla ice cream. Add frozen
cream pieces, saffron, rose water and pistachios. Mix well.