This will also make a 3inch high 8 inch cake. Mudcakes take a very long time to bake, make sure your oven is not too hot and use baking strips always, or the sides will burn. The top is usually crispy, and i just remove it and use it as my taste sample ; )
- 150gms dark chocolate buttons
- 250gms butter
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 440gms castor sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 4tbs water
- 25gms orange rind (fresh)
- 80gms self raising flour
- 120gms plain flour
- 100gms unsweetened cocoa (make sure you get a good quality dark cocoa, supermarket cocoas just dont do the job properly)
- 1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
- 2. Heat juice and sugar in a heavy pan, once heated (do not allow it to boil)
- 3. Add butter and stir until melted
- 4. Add dark buttons and orange rind and stir till all combined. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- 5. Sift flours and cocoa together.
- 6. Add two eggs and water to cooled liquid mixture above and whisk in the flours.
- 7. Pour into patty pans, i make them in muffin sized pans. Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Test them after 45 minutes to ensure they are not over done. Skewer inserted into center should come out completely clean.
- Makes around 20.