This is the only cakes I make for special occasions. It is a never fail one that is indestructible. It can be frozen for months ahead so always have one on hand to decorated. Can use any type pan.
Mock Angel food
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups grandulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 egg whites (room temp)
- 1 tsp. cream tartar
- 1 tsp. almond flavoring
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring (white)
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the cup of boiling water and beat this well, let this mixture cool (I usually put in fridge to cool). Add baking powder & salt beat well.
- Beat egg whites til very stiff with cream tartar.
- Fold the flour/sugar mixture into the egg whites add flavorings.
- Put in a NON-GREASED pan. Bake on bottom rack in oven. 350 for 30 minutes. Flip pan over on cooling rack cool 15 mins then run a knife around edges to loosen then gently pull the cake out of the pan and finish cooling on rack.
- This is a great tasting cake and never fails to raise evenly. I have made hundreds of these and easy to have on hand, infact it is better tasting a week after you make it. enjoy!
will this recipe work with AP flour? I do not have cake flour.
Can this cake be cut and filled? I am looking for one that a customer wants to be light with fresh strawberries filled inside. They also want it covered in buttercream and fondant....any suggestions?
I would also love to know if this recipe can be torted, filled and stacked. I have someone that wants a light and airy cake for her wedding.
What size cake tin cake I use for this recipe?
Made this cake today. Good recipe. Seems a bit denser than your average box mix angel food cake, but very tasty and easy to make. Will definitely use it again.
The cake got RAVE reviews at work today. When I commented that it was a bit denser than I would have liked everyone said it was perfect and not to try a different recipe next time. I would say that it is a winner! My boss wants one for her birthday.
I've used this recipe twice now & came out great both times. First time I baked in 9 x 12 & torted & filled w/ strawberries. This time I made cupcakes baked for 15 min. Made about 27. Yummy...
Login To Leave A Comment