This recipe has been slowly modified by me until I reached something I was quite happy with. Perfect for wedding cakes, birthday cakes and cupcakes, this recipe is very easy to adjust into any flavor you want. I’ve added: orange juice (subbed for some liquid), instant chai tea powder, peanut butter – you name it! Always a very moist, fine texture, but sturdy enough for wedding and sculpted cakes.
A Better White Scratch Cake
- 5 c cake flour
- 3 1/3 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1 1/3 c shortening
- 16oz sour cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla or almond extract
- 10 egg whites (or 10oz carton egg whites)
- Preheat oven. Prepare your pans as you normally would.
- Sift dry ingredients together into mixer bowl.
- Add everything but egg whites and mix just until combined. Beat on high for 2 minutes, turn down mixer and add egg whites, return to high and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into pans and bake.
- This recipe makes 10 cups of batter, but can be halved or doubled (if your mixer can handle it).