This is the recipe I use most for yellow cakes. You can use a simple soaking syrup with it and it is super good. you will have a little batter left over if you use a pan 8″ x 3″ round. Don’t overfill. I mainly use the two 8″ x 2″ round pans.
Bizcocho Basico (Yellow Basic Cake)
- 3 cups of self rising flour
- 2 sticks of butter or margarine
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (yolks and whites separated and at room temp)
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- vanilla and/or almond extract to taste
- 1. Beat butter and sugar at high speed until it is soft and pale yellow in color.
- 2. Start adding the yolks one by one until they disappear completely. Add flavors and continue beating.
- 3. Lower the speed to low and start adding the flour and milk alternating. Begin with flour and end with flour. Turn off mixer.
- 4. Whip whites to meringue consistency and FOLD into the flour mixture until meringue disappears.
- 5. Pour into prepared pans (8″ x 3″ round or two 8″ x 2″ round) and bake for 45 minutes at 350 Farenheit. (I use Wiltons chart on baking times