Strudel is very famous in Austria. You can make it with different fillings (nuts, quark, jam, apple,…).
Mohnstrudel (poppy seed strudel)
- 500 g flour
- 150 g butter
- 100 g confectioners sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 40 g fresh yeast
- a pinch of salt
- 200 ml milk lukewarm
- 200 g ground poppy seed
- 370 ml milk
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 ts lemon peel
- 50 g butter
- 80 g raisins
- 2 tbs honey
- rum or rum extracts
- All ingredients at room temperature!!!!
- Put the flour in a bowl, add butter, confectioners sugar, salt, and the slightly beaten eggs. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk and put it in the bowl. Knead all together till the dough has a smooth surface. It’s perfect if there are bubbles.
- Divide the batter and form two balls. Cover them with cloth and let it sit in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Put milk, sugar and honey in a saucepan and boil it up. Add the poppy seed and reboil it. Add remaining ingredients and let it cool.
- Take the dough balls and roll them out. Put half of the filling on each dough and roll it. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet and place both strudels on it.
- Let the strudel sit for 20 minutes. Then if wanted brush an egg yolk on the surface and bake it in the preheated oven at 390°F (200°C) for about 40 minutes.
- Let it cool and cut it in slices.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment