Butter and flour a 20 cm square or round pan, line with baking paper. Pre-heat oven to 180degrees centigrade.
Simple Banana Cake
- 125grams unsalted butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- few drops vanilla extract or essence
- 250grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture, alternating with buttermilk ( or milk with lemon juice).
- Spoon into pan and bake for 45 mins or until cake tests clean.
- Cool cake in its pan on a wire rack for a few minutes before turning out.
- Cool completely before cuttng or storing in an airtight tin.
- ADDED EXTRA IF NOT DECORATING:
- Combine 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons self faising flour, 1 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 100grams softened butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Scatter over the uncooked banana cake and bake as above.
- This recipe is from the Stephanie Alexander book “the cooks companion”
I love this recipe, although I use an extra egg for added moistness & sometimes use wholemeal flour instead of plain. I also substitue half of the sugaar with brown sugar. I use cream cheese/butter/icing sugar to top it off.
Login To Leave A Comment