Some useful tips:
- if you are planning to use coconut buttercream, omit the use of the coconut milk/coconut extract.
- this cake pairs really well with a vanilla or rum buttercream and makes a stunning dessert when you add shredded coconut as a garnish.
Amount Ingredient 2 2/3 C All Purpose Flour 1 C Softened Butter 1 C Granulated (white) sugar 1 C Coconut milk (do NOT use cream of coconut! Coconut milk can be found in the ethnic food section in your food store. If it is not available in your area, use whole milk and add 1-2 tsp coconut extract instead) 4 Eggs 2 tsp Baking Powder 3 Tbsp Dark Rum 1 8 oz tin Crushed pineapple, drained very well
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare pans.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
3. Combine the milk and rum in a glass and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, cream the butter until it is smooth and light. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until it is nice and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternatively with the milk mixture – beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
7. Fold in crushed pineapple.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Yum! Can't wait to try it, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
is there any alternative if I dont want to use rum?
I tried it on cupcakes, and it was OK. I didnt taste any rum, nor much coconut :( The pineapple was the main flavour, but I can say with 110% certainty that the batter is YUUUMMMY!
I made a coconut and pineapple buttercream and topped with dessicated coconut.
Btw, it made 24 cupcakes, and you can fill them almost full cos they dont rise much.
where can i find the dark rum??
It doesn't have a strong coconut or rum flavor because I Norma,ky pair this with a coconut rum buttercream and top with shredded coconut.
Can i use cake flour instead of all purpose flour?
Login To Leave A Comment