Note: Strong brewed coffee may be substituted for the liqueurs.
Cream Caramel Cake
1 cup butter
5 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
2-1/2 cups sugar
5 Tbsp. total mocha syrup, coffee liqueur, and Irish cream liqueur*
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 recipe Irish Cream Frosting (recipe in directions)
1. Allow butter, egg yolks, egg whites, and buttermilk to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until well combined. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat on low speed after each addition just until combined. In a bowl combine mocha syrup, coffee liqueur, Irish cream liqueur, and vanilla. Gently stir into cake batter.
4. Thoroughly wash beaters. In a mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold 1 cup of the beaten egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture; fold remaining egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
5. Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool thoroughly on racks.
6. To assemble cake, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread top of cake with 3/4 cup of the Irish Cream frosting. Top with a second cake layer. Spread top of cake with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Irish Cream Frosting: In a mixing bowl beat 1 cup butter, softened, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 6 tablespoons total: mocha syrup, coffee liqueur, and Irish cream liqueur.* Beat in 2 tablespoons vanilla. Gradually add 6 cups powdered sugar, beating until smooth and of spreading consistency.