My mudcake recipes are all originally from “The Women’s Weekly Chocolate Cakes” mini book. I have taken the recipes and modified them and made them my own. Here is one i came up with for cupcakes. Mudcakes are a lot heavier than these cupcakes, but I wanted this recipe to be light, to suit a cupcake.
If you were making it as a whole cake and you wanted a more firm cake you’d use butter instead of margarine. Also the original recipe is for a white mud cake, and it calls for 225gms of plain flour and 75gms of self raising flour. This gives you a much heavier cake, but i like mine lighter and that is why i’ve modified the ratio of self raising to plain flour.
If you wanted to make white cupcakes, you’d use 440gms of white sugar.
Caramel Mudcake Cupcakes
150gms white chocolate buttons
350gms dark brown sugar
1 cup of milk (250mls)
2 large eggs
150gms self raising flour
150gms plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
2. Heat milk and sugar in a heavy pan, once heated (do not allow it to boil)
3. Add margarine and stir until melted
4. Add white buttons and stir till all combined. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
5. Sift flours together.
6. Add two eggs to cooled liquid mixture above and whisk in the flours. 7. Pour in your individual pans, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until done.