This has become a favorite with my family. The chocolate chips make it really rich so I think either chocolate whipped cream or chocolate meringue buttercream would be best for frosting. Also good with a thin layer of regular chocolate BC and fondant.
Tastes just like chocolate chip cookies…
Chocolate Chip Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 lb butter, softened
- 1 c white sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 1/2 c AP flour
- 2 t salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 1/2 c chocolate chips* (tossed together with a
- little flour to coat.)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease & flour 2 8 inch pans**
- Beat the egg white until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- On medium speed, cream butter. Gradually add sugar and
- beat until light. Add vanilla & mix. Add yolks, one at
- a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with
- buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just
- until smooth. Fold in egg whites, then stir in
- chocolate chips.
- Pour into pans, bake 35-45 minutes.
- *I use the mini chocolate chips, they stay suspended
- in the batter better than the large, but you will have
- more chocolate in the cake, so you can cut back by 1/4
- to 1/2 cup if you like.
- **The recipe calls for 8″ x 2″ pans but you may also be able to use 9″
- - I usually have batter leftover for a skinny 6″ cake
- for snacking.