This recipe is vegan as written, meaning it contains no animal products. It is considered a white cake, but usually does not turn out looking “white.” It can also be altered to nearly any flavor by changing the liquid. It could even be made into a chocolate cake (by adding 1 cup cocoa powder, reducing flour by 1/2 cup, and using chocolate soymilk as the liquid) although I have never tried this. I have used this cake several times for wedding cakes and it its quite stable. It is a moist cake that is easy to work with and decorate. Flax seeds are not absolutely necessary, but using them produces better results and can be ground in a blender or clean coffee grinder.
3 ½ cups Flour
2 teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ teaspoon Salt (try this amount, can go to 1/2)
2 cup Vegan Sugar (some sugars are processed with
animal bones and are not vegan. sucanat, turbinado,
unrefined cane sugars are all ok.)
½ cup Vegan Margarine (Earth Balance Margarine is best)
3 T Applesauce
1 T ground Flax Seeds and water
2 cups liquid (I like ½ Soymilk, ½ clear, not-too-sweet,
carbonated beverage/water, or thin fruit puree/juice, or all 3)
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoon Almond Extract or other flavoring (optional)
3 tablespoon White Vinegar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and
flour cake pan(s) or line with parchment.
2) Sift together first three ingredients (Drys).
3) Cream together sugar and margarine. Add apple sauce
and flax seeds.
4) Mix together all other ingredients (Wet’s) except vinegar.
5) Alternate mixing Dry’s and Wet’s into sugar mixture,
starting and ending with Dry’s.
6) Right before putting into the oven, gently mix the
vinegar into the batter and pour into cake pan(s) using
slightly less that recommended amounts for each pan.
7) Bake for 35-45 minutes or until cakes test done (toothpick