Found one of the two family recipes for fruitcake. This has also been altered for the easier to find ingredients nowadays compared to when my grandparents were making it.
Dernberger Fruitcake (Dark )
- 1 cheesecloth
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsps Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2-3 containers of mixed candied fruits (found in grocery stores)
- optional- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pecans etc)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice OR apple juice
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp light molasses
- Brandy or fruit juice (to coat the cake once done)
- Preheat oven 300 degrees
- Grease 8x4x2 loaf pan or 1 bundt style pan
- line any pan with parchment paper to help with the browning process
- Combine all dry ingredients
- add the fruit and nuts mix well
- Beat the eggs then add the sugar juice margarine and molasses until all combined well then of course add this to the dry ingredients.
- Take the cheesecloth and moisten it with brandy, rum, or juice etc while cake is in oven.
- Put cake in oven, and bake for an hour and cover the cake with foil) then continue to bake until a pick or cake tester is inserted and comes out clean.
- Take cake out of oven, let cool while still in pan.
- Once cake is cooled wrap cake in the cloth moistened with brandy or juice (whatever you choose to use), once wrapped, put cake on foil and apply more brandy or juice then wrap cake in cloth in the foil and place in fridge…you can apply more brandy, or juice once a week if you want strengthen the taste of the cake for holidays………. to mellow flavor of cake (w/alcohol or juice)cake can be kept in fridge 2-8 weeks.
IF YOU WANT A LIGHT FRUITCAKE YOU CAN PREPARE AS STATED, ONLY DONT USE NUTMEG, ALLSPICE, OR CLOVES (THEY DARKEN THE CAKE) AND USE LIGHT CORNSYRUP OR LIGHT MOLASSES FOR THE DARK. ALSO ADD 1 TEASPOON SHREDDED LEMON PEEL AND 1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE WITH THE CORN SYRUP.