My version of an Italian Cream Cake that I used the crusting cream cheese icing recipe from here, along with sugar roasted pecans surrounding the borders.. It is very, very good !!
Italian Cream Cake with Sugar Roasted Pecans
- Italian Cream Cake
1 box white cake mix with pudding
- 1 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flavoring
- 1 cup of frozen coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Sugar Roasted Pecans
1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix cake mix, oil, coconut flavoring, water and eggs until well blended making sure to scrape down sides of bowl. Stir in 1 cup of frozen coconut and 1 cup of well chopped pecans. Pour into prepared cake pans that have been greased/floured or pan coated very well. Make sure to use plenty of pan coat or your cakes will stick!!
- Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes depending on pan size used or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted. Remove pan(s) from oven and cool on wire rack.
- I used the crusting cream cheese icing from this website on this cake and it tasted wonderful!!
- SUGAR PECANS
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray making sure they are well coated. In a mixing bowl, beat egg white and water until frothy. In another bowl (preferably with a lid) , mix sugar, cinnamon and salt until mixed. Add pecans to the egg white and stir until they are well coated. Place pecans that have been coated with the egg white mixture in the bowl with the sugar/cinnamon/salt mixture. Cover bowl and shake well to cover all pecans with mixture. Spread pecans onto your baking sheets making sure not to pile on top of each other. Cook in oven for 1 hour making sure you stir them every 15 minutes. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK AND STIR OFTEN OR THESE WILL STICK!!!
- Cook and store pecans in an airtight container. Use to garnish around your Italian Cream Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. Yum!!
I have a request for an Italian Creme Wedding cake. Is this sturdy enough to use for that purpose?
in your instructions #2 says water but I didnt see how much in the ingredients. Is the 1 tsp under the sugar roasted pecans the amount of water? just want to clarify :) Thanks!
Login To Leave A Comment