Gateau Tiramisu, Genoise cakes are reccomended, but can use sponge cakes. This is my familys favourite.
There is a bit of prep work but well worth it.
- 2x 22cm(9in) round genoise sponge cakes.
- 1 tbls instant coffee powder
- 190g(6 1/2oz) caster(superfine) sugar
- 80ml Kahlua
- 4 egg yolks
- 500g mascarpone cheese(or cream cheese)
- 300ml thick double heavy cream
- cocoa powder
- Mascarpone cheese- put coffee powder and 110g of the sugar in a pan with 250ml water. Stir over low heat until dissolved.Let cool then stir in Kahlua.
- Beat egg yolks and remaining sugar in heatproof bowl, place over pan of barely simmering water.Beat for 3 mins with electric beaters, or until thick and fluffy. Transfer to a clean bowl and beat further 3 mins till cool.
- Gently stir mascarpone in a large bowl to soften, add the egg mix, then the cream, beating slightly until thick.
- Slice the cakes in 1/2 horizontally, place layer of cake on a plate and brush with coffee syrup, spread a fifth of the mascarpone cream, top with another layer of cake and continue layering.
- Finishing with mascarpone cream on top.Put left over cream in fridge for 1 hour.
- Dredge top of cake with cocoa or grated choc. Cover sides with mascarpone cream and place choc wafers(cigar shaped) or choc collar around and secure with a ribbon