This cake has been handed down from generation to generation. It has never been changed since the first time it was made. During WWII ingredients were scarce so people made due with what they had.
Grandma’s War Cake
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Place water, sugar, shortening, raisins, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in a 2qt. saucepan and bring to boil.
- 3. Boil ingredients for 5 minutes. Stir occassionally.
- 4. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- 5. Once mixture is thoroughly cooled, add 2 cups flour.
- 6. Dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1/4 cup boiling water.
- 7. Add to batter.
- 8. Pour into any one layer pan.
- 9. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment