After searching high and low for a good, flavorful lemon cake that did not start with a box mix, I decided to combine some other recipes I’ve found into this delicious cake. I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Moist and light with the perfect amount of lemon flavor. I’ve only made it once so far (I’m posting so I won’t forget what I did!) so I’d welcome your comments and feedback!
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 box instant lemon pudding
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly (about 5 minutes in electric mixer on med-high speed).
- Add pudding, extracts, lemon zest and sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the batter until completely combined.
- Add 1/2 the milk and mix completely.
- Alternate flour and milk, combining completely after each addition, ending with the last 1/3 of the flour.
- Prepare pans and bake at 350 until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is beginning to brown.
- Single layer 8 or 9″ pans should take about 25-30 minutes. Also makes awesome cupcakes!