I have used this recipe 2 or 3 times at least and always get rave reviews on it.
While on the forum this week I was telling the people about it and several asked if I would share it. So I did and then I thought that I might as well share it with everyone. I got it out of a magazine “Cooking with Paula Deen”
- Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake
- Paula Deen’s magazine
- 1 18.25oz. Box White cake mix
- 1-3oz box Strawberry gelatin
- 1-10oz pkg. Frozen Strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed*
- 4 lg. Eggs
- ½ C. Vegetable Oil
- ¼ C. Water
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
- Garnish: Sliced Fresh Strawberries
- Strawberry Cream cheese icing ingredients:
- Makes about 4 cups.
- ¼ c. Butter, softened
- 1 8oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1-10oz. Pkg. frozen Strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed Strawberries*
- 1/2t. Strawberry extract
- 7 C. Confectioners Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 round 9” pans. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread strawberry cream cheese icing in between layers and on top and sides of the cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries if desired.
* I did not find 10 oz containers of strawberries in syrup in the freezer department so what I did was buy the bag of frozen strawberries(32oz, whole), put them in a bowl of cold water to thaw out as quickly as possible. After about an half an hour, put about half of the package in my food processor to cut up and poured about ½ c. sugar on them and let them sit another half an hour and pureed in processor. This worked well. I measured about 10 oz and finished as directions said.
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream chese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in ¼ C. strawberry puree, reserve remaining for another use. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
** as you can see the recipe calls for 10 oz container and only uses ¼ c. If I did find a 10 oz pkg of the strawberries it called for my 10 oz. would be short a 1/4c. As I would not buy another 10 oz. pkg for ¼ cup. As I had more than I needed I used what was called for and yes I had lots left over too.