This recipe is a little time consuming, but totally worth it imo. It’s made with no shortening, for those that may not have it available to them. This is the first recipe I’ve ever made that didn’t taste oily or gritty to me and I think I’m gonna stick with it for a while!
Sorry if this has already been posted
Recipe from www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fluffy-white-buttercream-frosting-recipe
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt (ONLY if using UNSALTED butter)
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract**
- 4 cups sifted powdered/confectioners sugar
- 2 cups soft butter (cut into chunks)**
- ** my alterations
- Instead of 1 tablespoon vanilla, I used 1/2 tablespoon almond extract & 1/2 tblspn imitation strawberry extract
- Instead of 2 cups butter, I used 1 cup butter and 1 cup veg. shortening
- Boil your water and dissolve your granulated sugar (and salt if using) in it. Remove from heat and let it come to room temperature ( I stuck mine in the freezer for a speed up).
Using a mixer on low, blend together your sugar water and meringue powder until meringue dissolves. This can take a few minutes and I helped it along with a whisk on the other side of the bowl. Once meringue is dissolved, turn up your speed and whip until soft peaks form.
Add your extracts and sifted powdered sugar ( I added 1 cup at a time). Once your powdered sugar is well mixed, begin adding your butter or shortening in small chunks. Mix well after each addition. My buttercream didn’t firm up until literally the last scoop of shortening I added so don’t worry if it isn’t forming.
The recipe does state it’s a crusting buttercream, but mine never did. It was, however, not necessary for smoothing as it was so easy to spread on my cakes and smooth out with my dough cutter.
Hope everyone who tries it has as much luck with it as I did!