This recipe is just like what my mother used to bake. The corn start makes the cake extra moist and almost “fudge” like consistency in you mouth yet its light and airy. This recipe has great consistency and firmness for layered cakes, also great for carving and its the only recipe I use for my cakes. The recipe calls for only 3 tbs of butter or margarine, don’t add any more because it will weight you cake down. Enjoy!
- 3 tbs of butter
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of corn starch ( I use either Iberia or Maizena brand)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs – Separate egg whites from yolks.
- 1 table spoon of baking powder ( I use Arco brand)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla or whatever flavoring you prefer.
1) Beat butter with sugar until it becomes smooth and airy, add egg yolks.
2) Add flour, corn starch, milk, vanilla extract and mix well
3) In a separate bowl whip egg whites until very airy and firm. ” to test egg’s consistency flip bowl upside down, eggs will not run out of bowl when ready. Gently fold eggs into flour mixture
4) Finally, fold in baking powder.
Pour batter in a prepared cake pan and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 25 minutes