Makes about 3 cups of icing and is medium consistency.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 IB) sifted powdered sugar
- 2 T milk
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be store 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
For thin spreading consistency icing, add 2 T light corn syrup, water or milk.
For pure white icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 tsp no-color butter flavor. Add up to 4 T light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.
Is this good for icing cupcakes?
I use it all the time for cupcakes ;)
Login To Leave A Comment