1 tbsp. amaretto or almond liqueur (plus more for topping)
1 1/3 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. butter, room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon Amaretto or almond liqueur
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons slivered blanched almonds
1. In an 8-inch non-stick square pan (or round), melt butter; sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg, mixing well and distributing evenly.
2. Arrange peach slices, slightly overlapping the slices, evenly over the brown sugar. Sprinkle with the amaretto or almond liqueur.
3. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter. Stir vanilla into milk and stir into the flour mixture.
4. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Add egg, and beat for 1 more minute. Pour batter over peaches.
5. Bake in a preheated 350°F for 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before inverting with a sharp thump onto a serving dish. Leave the cake in the pan upside-down for several minutes to help free it from the pan.
Serve with freshly whipped cream sweetened with powdered sugar and a little Amaretto.
Sprinkle whipped cream with slivered almonds. Alternatively, vanilla ice cream may be used as a topping.
Variation: 2 or 3 tablespoons blanched almonds can be ground in a processor and sprinkled over the brown sugar for what eventually becomes the topping after the cake is inverted.