I used my white cake recipe to make it into a lemon cake. I do not like the fruit cake flavors in the mixes, because to me it just tastes too much like the candy artificial flavoring than the fruit itself. I also needed a lighter lemon cake to pair with a lemon fruit filling and lemon buttercream. The cake turned out great and you can taste the real lemon which is what I wanted.
- 1 box DH white cake mix (this is my brand preference)
- 1 box of lemon instant pudding mix (the small box)
- 1/2 tsp of pure lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of water (I squeezed the lemon to get all the juice and added water to make it 1/2 cup)
- Mix cake mix, pudding, water/lemon juice mix, oil, sour cream, eggs, extract and zest for 30 seconds on low and 2 minutes on medium. Bake as you normally would. I like to bake my cakes at 325.