This is a large recipe that is rich and dark. Make a few weeks ahead of time. The walnuts can be chopped or left whole.
- 12 cups raisins
- 3 cups currants
- 2 pounds candied mixed fruit
- 1 pound candied cherries
- 1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/4 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 12 egg whites
1 Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease four 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans, and then line with brown paper or foil. Grease again.
2 In a large container stir raisins, currants, candied fruit mix, candied cherries, maraschino cherries, dates, and 1 cup flour together until all the fruit is well coated with flour.
3 Measure 2 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a medium bowl. Stir to mix.
4 In a very large bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Beat in egg yolks three at a time. Stir in pineapple with juice and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with fruit juice in 2 parts to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in walnuts.
5 In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into batter, and stir in fruit gently. Divide batter among pans. Smooth.
6 Bake for about 3 hours until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.